I have been craving for spaghetti bolognese for quite some time and only now I've gathered up my guts to cook one. I haven't tried any western style cook as yet, as most of my cookings are plain Asian / Malaysian cooking.
So, I went and Google-d for Spaghetti Bolognese, came out having a mixture of Neil Perry and Jamie Oliver's recipes / methods.
I did made some changes to suit our taste, adapted from Neil Perry and Jamie Oliver.
500 g veil mix pork mince
1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 small carrot, diced
1 stick celery, diced
100 gm diced bacon
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup full-bodied red wine
400 gm Bolognese tomato sauce
200 gm tinned diced Italian tomatoes
2 heaped teaspoons dried oregano
2 heaped teaspoons dried thyme
a small bunch of fresh basil (to cook and to serve)
400 gm spaghetti
- Add extra virgin olive oil on a medium to high heat pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, bacon and a little sea salt and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it caramelized.
- Add the red wine and bring to boil.
- Add tomatoe sauces, thyme, oregano and basil. Add seasalt and peppercorn. Simmer for 30 minutes with the lids on and stir occasionally.
- Take the lid off and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook your pasta and drain it.
- Prepare pasta and the bolognese sauce into a plate.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle over the rest of the Parmesan and scatter with the small basil leaves.
Tried it? Like it?